• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Modes

Wizards in Workflows
As more and more is being asked of me in EV, I find that most requests would be handled quite easily if I could implement a wizard into my workflows.  Am I the only one?  

We prefer creating either an Incident or Service Request for EVERYTHING we do in EV, from loaning equipment to employee terminations.  Not having the default wizards in the workflow (yes, I know I can add buttons for a lot of them) is requiring me to bypass defaults in almost every situation and forces me to create what is starting to be dozens of alerts, business rules and customizations. 

For example, we know that there is a departure wizard when an employee leaves, but we also have about 20 other things we need to do when that happens and more than one group within and without IT are involved.  However, we also need to do the tasks that are automated by the Departure wizard.

I'd like to know how others get around gaps like this if anyone is interested in sharing.
jhendrix, proud to be a member of EV CONNECT FORUM since Apr 2016.

In cases like these, we tend to program the wizard functionality into the workflow itself to mimic it's behavior and expand upon it. Take a Loaner Request for example, I needed the ability for a user to request a loaner and the help desk to manage the loan process from within the ticket instead of the inventory. Using questionnaires, the Help Desk has a deployment step that prompts them to select what asset is being deployed to the user for loan. The workflow then has several internal update steps that updates that asset in the same fashion that the loan wizard does. The questionnaire here is more advantageous because I can then limit the pool of laptops available in the selection to our designated "loaner pool". Lastly, the workflow has a follow up action the Help Desk completes when the user returns the laptop. The completion of this action goes through a second round of steps that mimic the return from loan wizard. Long story short, we can replicate most wizard functionalities in a workflow.

Hopefully this is helpful!
cmiller, proud to be a member of EV CONNECT FORUM since Oct 2015.

(07-20-2018, 04:25 PM)cmiller Wrote: In cases like these, we tend to program the wizard functionality into the workflow itself to mimic it's behavior and expand upon it. Take a Loaner Request for example, I needed the ability for a user to request a loaner and the help desk to manage the loan process from within the ticket instead of the inventory. Using questionnaires, the Help Desk has a deployment step that prompts them to select what asset is being deployed to the user for loan. The workflow then has several internal update steps that updates that asset in the same fashion that the loan wizard does. The questionnaire here is more advantageous because I can then limit the pool of laptops available in the selection to our designated "loaner pool". Lastly, the workflow has a follow up action the Help Desk completes when the user returns the laptop. The completion of this action goes through a second round of steps that mimic the return from loan wizard. Long story short, we can replicate most wizard functionalities in a workflow.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Yeah--I think I remember this one--you should see it now!  

I guess we'll stick to our original plan.  We've already had to add a UDF for SR documents, we'll finish the one we're working on for user equipment on offboarding SR.  Thanks Chris.
jhendrix, proud to be a member of EV CONNECT FORUM since Apr 2016.